By: Koleilat Law
Share This Post
Divorce: Take Care or Lose Out
When it comes to divorce, it is a difficult time for anyone. Marriage is the beginning of a beautiful chapter in your life that sometimes ends far too soon. While this is a hard time for some, for others it is simply devastating. Despite all the hardships that divorce can incur, it is important to focus and take the right steps forward. If you walk blindly into the proceedings you could find yourself in an even harder situation afterwards. You could come out with no funds, nowhere to go, and no idea what to do next. This is especially true when children are involved.
A few of the steps that should be taken when dealing with divorce are:
• Get a Divorce Lawyer: Don’t just get any lawyer. Most lawyers are typically focused on one or two areas of law, so search for ones that have experience in practicing family law, mainly divorce. Make sure they are knowledgeable on the topic, and that they have a satisfactory track record. Get a divorce lawyer early on, so they have time to build a stronger case.
• Know What you are Entitled To: There are laws that regulate what happens during a divorce. Different standards to decide how property is divided, custody of children, etc. Make sure you know what you are entitled to. Talk to your divorce lawyer.
• Identify Property: Any property you owned coming into the marriage, or obtained after the legal separation, is purely your own property. Your lawyer will fight to make sure you get what is rightfully yours, but with receipts and proof of purchase, the procedure becomes much simpler.
• Seek Help if Needed: Divorce is an emotional time. Dealing with the courtroom can add even more stress to the situation. Don’t be ashamed to see a counselor or therapist to help you deal with the emotional turmoil. They can help cope with the large range of emotions that you may feel during divorce, and help you successful transition from marriage to a single lifestyle. Leaning on friends and family can also be beneficial.
• Prepare for After the Divorce: With a good lawyer, like Lauren Koleilat, you can come out ahead when you leave the courtroom. It is time to look at starting a new chapter in your life, so make sure you begin it the right way.
For more tips and advice for handling the divorce proceedings, speak with Koleilat and Miller today, the Daytona Beach divorce lawyer experts. They have been helping people in the courtroom since 2003, and are ready to bring their years of experience to your case. Don’t face this trying time alone, and don’t enter the courtroom blind. Have an experienced team at your back.